Search whispered words

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Stay With Me

3.5 Stars

Elyssa Patrick’s Stay With Me was one that I enjoyed, but also didn’t get a lot out of. Hailey Bloom is the triple threat in Hollywood…or should I say was. She doesn’t want that life anymore and she decides to sever all connections. Hailey wants to go to college and prove that she is more than what Hollywood and her mother made her; that wasn’t who she wants to be. She wants to find out who she really is, but what she didn’t count on was Caleb. The sexy, friendly, caring, compassionate guy who flips her world upside down making her see and realize things she never thought were possible. Caleb is the guy that every girl wants. He saw Hailey for who she was, but is that enough for her? Will he still love her once he knows the worst thing about her that not even the paparazzi have yet to discover? Hailey doesn’t want to give Caleb her heart because she expects to get it back shattered.
Elyssa does a fan-freaking-tastic job of writing her characters and putting them out there in all their awesome glory. There was not a character that I didn’t love or connect with. Even Hailey’s mother. I didn’t like her, but I really felt my disappointment in her. I was surprised by Hailey because she seems innocent and naïve and in some ways, she is. She has lived in the “Hollywood Bubble” all her life so she isn’t experienced how the world around her really is; she only has a perceived idea. But she is experienced in so many other ways and we see both sides of her.
The writing and flow is unique, one I haven’t dived into with other books. It threw me off at first, but I was surprised to find that even though it was choppy and segmented, it still flowed together and seemed to work well.
The reason I didn’t give it a 4 or more? There wasn’t a ton of drama and conflict. Being an ex-Hollywood triple threat and with the mother Hailey is blessed with, I would have figured these two realms would materialize in her life continuously, making her life even more difficult, but there was hardly any of that drama leaking into her life. I also expected a fall-out with Caleb that would leave them both scrambling.
It wasn’t a book that got my heart rate spiked and blood boiling, but I did still like it for the simple love story of Hailey and Caleb and Hailey’s self-discovery.

I will continue to read the other books in the With Me series and I cannot wait to read about Jaime, Nick, and Griff!

(I received an ARC from the author via Netgalley for my honest review, and this is my honest-to-goodness, straight from the heart review!)


Purchase this book here!

No comments:

Post a Comment