Search whispered words

Thursday, September 12, 2013

One Night in the Spa

3 Stars

I really truly liked the premise and theme behind Kathy Lyons’ One Night in the Spa. It was a storyline that has been around for ages, but the detail she adds, the characters and the complications they face on a day to day basis is something I have never encountered before. I liked the easy friendship between David and Kim, their similarities and their differences, their opinions and ideals, and their support for one another. They were truly best friends to end all best friends except for the small fact that David is trying to take over the company she works for and illegally accessing the finances through her account. If she ever found out, she would assume he faked everything between them. But then one night, things heat up and go past any and all boundaries that have forever surrounded them.
So why didn’t I rate this book higher than 3 stars? Because the story never reached its full potential. Understanding that this is a novella, it was incredibly well paced most of the way through until it got to page 80 (of 92, might I say) when the story became incredibly rushed, a lot of information and emotions packed into 12 short pages which left me feeling like I was hung out to dry. I didn’t grasp the anger, hurt, betrayal, love, lust, or any emotion they displayed because I wasn’t given the chance to be on that emotional level. Anticipation is everything, but when the most crucial part of the story is placed on fast-forward, I kind of went “Wait, what?” Not in the “I don’t get it kind of way”, but in the “I could have used more there” kind of way.
The ending was exactly how I had hoped it would end, unfortunately, that ending came like there was a page limit and was almost to the end without realizing it until it was too late, but still had to pack in the rest.
I would really love to see this story as a full length novel and experience the rush of emotions David and Kim share as well as their journey to get to the end.


(I received an ARC for my review and this is my honest-to-goodness, straight from the heart review!)

Available here!


No comments:

Post a Comment